Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

End of Year Round Up

Last year I thought I hadn't done much knitting until I did a quick review of finished projects. I am hoping that would be the case but please take into account that I have learnt to spin this year so much of my time has been taken up with twirling :)

One of my favourite ever projects was the Pi shawl I knitted for Aunty Nancy to give to her first great grandchild. I was pleased with it at the time and happy to be able to knit it for Nancy as she was no loner able to knit due to crippling arthritis. Sadly later this year Nancy died very suddenly and the project became even more important to me. I feel lucky to have met this lady who was my husband's father's cousin and not really an Aunty at all, but when I moved up to Newcastle a few years ago she made me very welcome and told me to consider myself the daughter she wished she'd had. If only there had been more occasions to share our love of knitting with her, but at least we had time for Pi :)

Pattern Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi Shawl
Yarn Sirdar Snuggly 4 ply, 5 x 50g balls, white, Nylon/Acrylic mix (shudders!)
Needles KnitPicks Options 3.5mm
Blocked (sic) size 46" in diameter.


Over on Ravelry in the Posh Knitters Group we had a fantastic KAL for the Swallowtail Shawl.

Swallowtail Shawl

Posh Yarn, Eva 2 ply lace weight, 1 skein 50g 400 yds, (13g left), Captain.


size 3.5mm needles, blocked size 48" x 24"

I never would have gotten this finished if it weren't for the fabulous photos of other people's finished projects. Ravelry has really become an integral part of my life. I cannot imagine nor being on Rav.


Hmmmm must do more of that KAL thing.
I made an emergency 'I need it like yesterday' shrug for DD1

One Skein Wonder by Stefanie Japel
US 5 / 3.75 mm
US 8 / 5.0 mm
Acrylic from stash.





Then DS2 needed
emergency hat
Basic Hat Pattern by Ann Budd
DS2
23"
Needle and yarn
US 8 / 5.0 mm
aran acrylic

'I'm going camping in 2 days and it's very cold, can you make me a hat?'



In May I decided I needed a quick project and Forest Canopy came to mind but I wanted something a little more challenging so I changed it into a half hexagon instead of triangle. Fast and fun, but sadly not really my colours.


Stashbusting FC
Forest Canopy Shawl by Susan Lawrence
Posh Yarn Baby Lucia Disguise






Next project is the first of my handspun yarns to be knitted up, a great pattern for thick and thin singles and I love the colour I accidentally hit upon when doing a little dye ply during the summer, remember the summer?

purple waves
Morning Surf Scarf by Jackie Erickson-Schweitzer
Needle US 4 / 3.5 mm
my handspun
1 skeins = 218.0 yards (199.3m)
purple semi solid
handspun cream bfl from all the pretty fibres
Oh my, then there was August, and I got married!
I made a special stole for my wedding

My Wedding Stole
US 3 / 3.25 mm
Posh Yarn Cecilia
1 skeins = 1440.0 yards (1316.7m)
Ivory,
Later there were hats

bub's bonnet
Bonnet by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Baby
Needle US 6 / 4.0 mm
Artesano Ltd Hummingbird
1 skeins = 327.0 yards (299.0
Pattern from elizabeth zimmermann’s Opinionated Knitter,
Katy's Rainbow
20"
Needle
US 9 / 5.5 mm
corridale roving
1 skeins = 130.0 yards (118.9m)
exclusivelylindalee


I made a cardigan, yes a whole garment, luckily top down in on circs, no seams :)

February Lady Sweater by pamela wynne
44 chest
Needle
US 8 / 5.0 mm
Casscade 220
6 skeins = 1320.0 yards (1207.0m)
blue fleck
Christmas approached and the project rate went up, mittens followed

and more mittens













I am half way through a pair for me now, Posh Mittens of course.

DD2 needed some welly socks

and as a final project this year I knitted some more handspun into a scarf.

Phew!

Happy New Year to all :)

No comments: