Pages

Friday, August 11, 2006

new beginings

I bought some lovely purple cotton DK to make something for DD - her fav colour is purple. See it here number 31. But we couldn't agree on a pattern that I had enough yarn for and that she liked! The ones she liked were not DK or they were too much yarn. I have 500g so short or sleeveless I think.

So I was thinking ... do you think I could design a top myself?

I only ask because I was browsing a new knitting stitch dictionary (not buying yarn, see) and there was the pattern fron The DB lace & bobble cardi!

I thought DB had made this pattern up but apparently there's nothing new under the sun.

So if I choose a stitch pattern, work out my tension, measure DD, decide on fit and sleeves and edging and neckline then I should be able to do it, right? I really liked knitting the DB, it was a bit more of a challenge, and I am finding the ss on the cardi for DD2 I just started a real bore, so maybe i can do something a little more difficult. The interest is in the variegated yarn, Opal rainforest parrot. Pattern here, yarn here.

I could do it in the round to avoid sideseams. If I made square shoulders I could pick up the stitches and knit down the sleeves so only shoulder seams and I could do a three needle cast off for them :o) I will use the design pages and hints in the debbie stoller book to help me. You see I have been thinking about this and ... I have his idea :o)

OK. Off to be a knitwear designer and if it turns out ok you can all share my pattern ;o)

No comments: